Knee Arthritis can be painful, Stem cell therapy can help
Adult stem cell therapy for knee arthritis or injury is the ideal choice if you have been suffering from knee joint pain and are not ready to explore the option of surgery. At Florida Spine and Sports Medicine, Dennis M. Lox, MD, offers adult stem cell treatments for knee pain related to osteoarthritis, meniscus tears, ACL tears, tendonitis, and other knee joint conditions. Many patients are finding that regenerative approaches like stem cell therapy offer them a nonsurgical means of pain relief, allowing them to return to active, fulfilling lives without the downtime and risks associated with surgery.
Many people have questions about stem cell knee therapy, and Dr. Lox helps his patients to learn as much as they can about this progressive treatment so that they can make the best possible decision for their knee condition. Below are a few basic facts about stem cell therapy for the knee that you might wish to know:
- Our stem cell knee therapy does not use embryonic cells. The stem cells are extracted from the patient’s own tissues during a short procedure right in Dr. Lox’s office.
- The cells used for our stem cell knee treatments are called mesenchymal cells, which are basically cells that can differentiate, or become specialized, for many different areas of the body.
- Mesenchymal cells are usually taken from fat tissue or from bone marrow; once extracted, the cells are prepared and injected into the affected joint in Dr. Lox’s office on the same day.
- These cells become specialized for the knee and help to regenerate the cartilage and other tissues that have worn away over time due to osteoarthritis or other joint conditions.
- While results vary among patients, many individuals experience inflammation and pain relief in as little as one week; the stem cells will continue to regenerate tissue in the knee joint in the months that follow.
To ensure that his patients fully understand their condition and their options for treatment, Dr. Lox offers a warm, welcoming environment in which his patients can ask questions and get thorough, straightforward answers. To schedule a consultation with the doctor to discuss stem cell knee therapy or other forms of regenerative medicine like PRP (platelet rich plasma) therapy, please contact Sports & Regenerative Medicine Centers.